Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Its been a year and I have some advice

Its almost been a year since my last blog and its been a pretty hectic one. Seems the kids are growing like weeds and wanting everything their eyes peer upon. Im anxiously awaiting our trip to Myrtle Beach this year. Its a longer trip and Im sure we'll get to do more things than we did last year. The kids missed out on some cool things unfortunately so hopefully, this year, we can make it up to them. We are staying in Gatlinburg the night before so maybe a trip out on the town that night could do all of us some good. My wife is still mad that she didnt get to go shopping the last time we were in the Smokey Mountain area so Im hopeful I can redeem myself in that aspect as well. Two birds, one stone, not too girls, one cup. Note that kids, it will be on the test!

I found out last night that a friend from schools father passed away and it only brought up memories of the day that I got the news about my father. It was good hearing that they as a family were able to join around him and reminisce about the times they had with him prior to his passing. Thats something I wish I could have done. I did visit my father while he was on a respirator and according to the doctors, could not hear me or respond to me. I hadnt talked to him in over a year and didnt know what to expect. I walked into that ICU room and seen him lying there, hoses and tubes attached to his body keeping his kidneys from failing and his lungs functioning. He was wearing the same ring he allowed me to wear at my Senior Prom on his right hand, lying there with an IV cord wrapped around his wrist. As I heard the ventilator lift up and down in the small room, I grabbed his left hand and, nervously, started talking with him as if he was there, hearing everything I said. The doctors insisted he was in too deep of a coma to even acknowledge anything.

I grabbed his hand and said "Pops, its Nick, Im here with ya. Everything is going to be fine soon. I know you can hear me. They are gonna make it where you dont hurt anymore."

A small tear rolled out of his left eye and down his unshaven cheek. I grabbed a tissue and wiped his face, knowing he could now hear what I was saying. I told him that I had forgiven him years ago, just couldnt forget what he had done to our family. I never again mentioned anything in the past. I told him I loved him and that I would be back up that next day to see him after work.

I never got that chance, he passed the following morning. Im so glad that God told me to turn right out of my driveway that morning I seen him instead of left, headed to work. Im glad I didnt put off that final conversation with him. It helped me get through some times and things that I held alot of anger inside for many, many years.

I guess the reason why Im writing today is to let whomever is reading this know that every moment with a loved one is precious. Dont take advantage of it. Fighting with loved ones, holding grudges, none of that matters once that person faces his maker. At that point, whom are we to judge, if ever?

RIP Stan Burroughs, you were loved by many, known by many, and were obviously a success at raising such great children, being such a positive influence in your grandchildrens lives, and being a wonderful and supportive husband. You were strong until God brought you home. May you rest in peace forevermore!

No comments:

Post a Comment